I'm using Red Hat Linux 9, and my experience has been the opposite. When
I used CoyoteConnector I got errors like this in catalina.out:

java.net.SocketException: Broken pipe

Also, I got this:

INFO: Jk running ID=0 time=2/85
config=/usr/local/jakarta-tomcat/conf/jk2.properties

Why the heck am I getting messages about jk2.properties when I'm using
mod_jk?

In mod_jk.log I saw things like this:

jk_connect.c (233)]: jk_open_socket, connect() failed errno = 111

When I use Ajp13Connector, I get no errors in any of the logs and
everything operates smoothly.

Granted, my application did work with CoyoteConnector, so maybe the
errors were not important, but seeing them didn't give me any confidence
in it.

I have had no problem shutting down Tomcat.

My intuition is that the connector made for mod_jk is more compatible
than the one made for mod_jk2. If I were to use CoyoteConnector, I would
use mod_jk2. It just makes more sense to me to match old with old and
new with new.

Maybe a TC developer can jump in and provide some clarity?

Mike