From: Remy Maucherat [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, December 25, 2003 2:11 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: All threads (150) are currently busy, waiting. Increase
maxThreads (150) or check the servlet status

alan sparago wrote:
> I am using Tomcat 5.0.16 standalone serving as both an http/https web
server
> and servlet container. This error occurred in our QA environment and has
> caused Tomcat to hang and not service any requests. This error seemed to
> occur when no users were using the site at the time, but about 4 DAYS
> earlier we preformed a stress test simulating 1200 semi-simultaneous users
> and everything worked perfectly without any errors. Since the stress test
we
> are only accessing the application as an occasional single user, the last
> time being about 8 hours prior to this error happening. Most parameters in
> the server.xml file are the default values (the maxThreads value is set to
> "150").
>
> Our log file is in xml format and contains the following error;
>
>   <logger>org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool</logger>
>
>   <level>SEVERE</level>
>
>   <class>org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool</class>
>
>   <method>logFull</method>
>
>   <thread>13</thread>
>
>   <message>All threads (150) are currently busy, waiting. Increase
> maxThreads (150) or check the servlet status</message>
>

> fyi. Nowhere in my application is the code creating any threads.

If running Linux 2.4 with tweaks, and esp RH 9, use LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1.
This kind of report is not very useful without a thread dump once the
issue occurs and all threads appear deadlocked, BTW. If there's actually
a bug in the Tomcat code, then it's the only way to identify where it is.

> We are very close to our site being live so any help or information would
be
> greatly appreciated. Would tomcat 4.1.29 be more stable?

No, it is the same connector anyway.

--
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Rémy Maucherat