I recall reading that conformant servlets and such (EJBs?) do not create
their own threads, something about being a container issue.

Does anybody know the primary objection to launching threads that take
on a life of their own?  The container doesn't really need to manage it, per
se.
I suppose a container can drop servlet objects from memory, but as that
wouldn't necessarily affect a daemon thread, it seems that doesn't harm
 launching them at startup, and of course the servlet could even stop the
threads when told to destroy itself if that makes sense.

Does anybody know if most servlet containers today (Tomcat 4+, WebLogic,
WebSphere...) have a real problem with such new threads being created or
not?  What would be the risk in my using them?

I previously posted this by accident on the PostgreSQL JDBC list and I got
mixed answers.  Some say it's fine, others say there's no spec saying such
threads can't be used, and others say that BEA complained about support
issues related to apps that created their own threads.

Any feedback is much appreciated.

Thanks,
David