Ralph Einfeldt wrote:

- Nobody (the spec included) prevents you from creating threads
  You just have to follow some rules.

Yes, but it should make you think twice before indulging in something like that. It also might prevent re-inventing the wheel.

- Besides creating threads I prefer to use servlets/jsp's
that are triggered from the outside to do regular jobs.
(Using cron and wget to trigger the action)
This way you don't have to deal with threads and the job runs inside the servlet environment.

Why would a cron triggered job benefit from Servlet container environment? Servlets are mainly for HTTP client/server interaction. Cron jobs are for no interaction.

I could imagine (and approve) a cron job firing JMS message to be caught by a Message EJB, but a Servlet...?

Nix.