Graham,

Hi everyone,

I had some questions regarding Tomcat. Is Tomcat able to handle a steady stream of about 200 years efficiently without crashing, being unreliable, etc.. ? I personally don't know the limitations of it as I am fairly new to Java.

Assuming your application is written and tested, yes. I'm running a servlet/tomcat/mysql application that currently has 3000 users. The real question is not "how many users" but "how many concurrent users". My app has never seen more than 50 simulataneous users, and works fine on a Sun SPARC E-250.

What would an ideal server be to handle that type of userbase? Right now it's running on a 1ghz celeron with I believe 512mb of ram running linux.

Again, simultaneous users/sessions is the key. I'm looking at upgrading to a 2-4 CPU machine, possibly Intel architecture as we ramp up to 20000 users in the next year. No OS has been chosen yet (probably a unix flavor).

Do any hosting companies offer reasonably priced colocation or flexible accounts with tomcat, php, and mysql installed? The IT company I work for has developed a great piece of software using JSP and Java technology but we need to get it onto a good box for production use.

Waste of money and time. As someone else said - build your own and co-locate if necessary. Even if you did manage to get someone able to install/support tomcat and mysql, you'd probably pay through the nose for actual support (i.e. when something goes down). Far better to be in total control. PC's are not expensive, and a good OS (unix/linux/solaris) is not expensive. Co-locate? probably expensive, but still cheaper than what you would pay for REAL hosting (i.e. that worked when things broke). Cost of building your own and KNOWING what's going on... priceless.

Does anyone here offer services such as using SSH to install Tomcat remotely? We would be willing to pay for someone to install Tomcat in a short timeframe.

I doubt it. Most ISP's cannot even support PHP or perl, let alone tomcat/mysql/java.

The ideal person would be someone that knows Tomcat installation quite well. We have installed it on a couple boxes, but usually by a lot of trial and error. We would like to get it up and running properly very quickly.

Sorry to say this, but spend time with the docs and spend time doing the builds yourself.

If anyone is interested, please send me an email and I can send you the details. I apologize in advance if this is not the place for an email like this. I figured this was probably one of the best places for an experienced Tomcat userbase.

As long as you don't want to integrate Apache and Tomcat, you can email me. I will not put both on the same machine, after finding that the web server was killing tomcat performance (due to the number of web hits). I split Apache off to it's own server, and used a simple firewall (appliance) to forward port 80 requests to one machine, with port 443 (SSL) to the tomcat server. Secure application access, no hit from the web server.

Thank you all very much for your time,

Cheers,

-Richard

~Graham