Many thanks for your reply.
Does your solution works with NIS?

Also I have found on the server config site that :
"The operating system username under which Catalina is executed MUST
have read access to each user's web application directory, and all of its contents."
In my case that probably means that I will have to run Catalina as root.
Are there any known security problems with that?

About implementing my own manager ,I am not realy a java programmer
Does anybody knows about such a thing already done?

Thanks.
On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 11:00:24 -0500, Tim Downey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

 >> The main perpose of the server - a programming course,the
 >> students should develope their projects on it.
 >> Students probably should be able to do the folowing:
 >> [1] deploy/redeply/reload their applications

Using Tomcat as a stand-alone server, you can create a ~ directory for each
user in /etc/passwd. Add a Listener for UserConfig in the Host.

 >> [2] they should NOT be able to do the same for the
 >>    other students applications

The ~ directories have individual user access privileges.

 >> [3] they can't restart the server ,of course, since
 >>     students don't have root access.

I am unfamiliar with creating a new manager, but it seems that you should
be able to write a servlet that can only be accessed by registered users.
This servlet will send stop/start for a particular user's web app directory.
It is possible to send messages to the manager via HTTP. Your servlet
will need to authenticate as the manager, and then send the correct HTTP
request.

Perhaps someone else has a slicker solution. I would love to hear it.