At 03:44 PM 1/9/2004 -0600, you wrote:
Bingo!!! That was it.

It might be a good idea to add a paragraph to the JDBC DataSources section of the documentation that mentions:

(a) That global datasources are defined in <GlobalNamingResources> of server.xml
(b) The need for the <ResourceLink> in the application context .xml file

I had the mistaken impression that anything placed in the server.xml file was automatically applied to all application contexts. I am sure that others make the same mistake.

Thanks, I have been pulling my hair on this issue for almost a month.

This is true for <DefaultContext>. Maybe you were confusing <GlobalNamingResources> with that. The latter lets you define things once and let applications link to it if they want the service whereas the former makes the service available for every app whether it is wanted or not.

Jake

Bruno

-----Original Message-----
From: ext Keshav Sarin [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, January 09, 2004 3:22 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; Melloni Bruno (Nokia-BI/Dallas)
Subject: Re: Datasource - OK in app context - Fails in Global context

Have you defined a reference to the global resource in the <ResourceLink> element of the application context ?

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 01/09/04 10:38AM >>>
I have an Oracle JDBC datasource that I defined in the Tomcat5 context
for an application (conf/Catalina/localhost/nwg.xml).  Works fine,
context file listed below.

But when I tried to move the datasource to the <GlobalNamingResources>
section of server.xml so that it would be accessible to all apps it gets
recognized in the admin console, but not by the application.

What gives?  I thought a Global resource is supposed to function
identically to an application resource.

Any help would be greatly welcomed.

<value>jdbc:oracle:thin:@hostNameHere:portNumberHere:dbNameHere</value>
    </parameter>
    <parameter>
      <name>username</name>
      <value>usernameHere</value>
    </parameter>
    <parameter>
      <name>password</name>
      <value>userpasswordHere</value>
    </parameter>
    <parameter>
      <name>maxIdle</name>
      <value>10</value>
    </parameter>
    <parameter>
      <name>maxActive</name>
      <value>20</value>
    </parameter>
    <parameter>
      <name>maxWait</name>
      <value>-1</value>
    </parameter>
    <parameter>
      <name>removeAbandoned</name>
      <value>true</value>
    </parameter>
    <parameter>
      <name>logAbandoned</name>
      <value>true</value>
    </parameter>
  </ResourceParams>

Note: The JDBC driver is ojdbc14.jar and is present in common/lib, the
application's WEB-INF/lib and is present also in the JRE's lib/ext for
unrelated JAAS reasons.

Bruno Melloni
eBusiness Application Center, Americas
Nokia, Inc