I am not sure if this is a Tomcat or Struts or code problem...

Every now and again (every 5 minutes or so) my requests to Tomcat are coming back with
a blank white page.

The logs show the following stack trace where myController is an ActionServlet ...

Servlet.service() for servlet myController threw exception
java.lang.NullPointerException
 at
org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.getServletContext(RequestProcessor.java:1136)
 at
org.apache.struts.tiles.TilesRequestProcessor.processTilesDefinition(TilesRequestProcessor.java:180)
 at
org.apache.struts.tiles.TilesRequestProcessor.processForwardConfig(TilesRequestProcessor.java:309)
 at org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.process(RequestProcessor.java:279)
 at org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.process(ActionServlet.java:1482)
 at org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.doGet(ActionServlet.java:507)
 at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:743)
 at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:856)

About 2 subsequent requests are also blank but around the 3rd attempt works and I
notice in our own logs that the myController servlet has been reinitialised with the
init() method.

Does anyone know what could be going on here? Why is the servlet going down and then
having to be revived by subsequent requests to it?

Cheers ADC

QAS Ltd.
Developers of QuickAddress Software
Registered in England: No 2582055