Howdy,

>Hm, we have setup IIS in front of Tomcat so it can serve off the static
>content, I thought that was the conventional wisdom.

Conventional and/or outdated.  "Or" is the more likely operator in the
previous sentence.

>We're looking at about 300+ users of which maybe lets say 20 concurrent
at
>quiet times, probably approaching 100+ when we announce something.
Would
>you say Tomcat can handle that fairly well including the static stuff?

Yeah, I would, but the specifics depend on your application, your
hardware, your OS.  It's not hard to test: put together a JMeter (or AB,
or Grinder, or whatever tool you like) test plan that simulates however
many concurrent users you expect, run it on tomcat standalone, on tomcat
with IIS, on a cluster, iteratively tune the system, and see what
happens.

>Would I just need to look at server.xml to get more performance from
Tomcat
>(exluding the JProfiler run) or is a cluster a really good idea too. If

Again, depends on your requirements.  Clusters increase setup and
maintenance costs, but can also increase reliability and possibly
performance if you balance the load in the cluster.  Read Filip Hanik's
various docs and articles on tomcat clustering.

Yoav Shapira

and notify the sender.  Thank you.