Seth Ladd wrote:

Wow, OK, thanks for the great insight.  In other words, it's safe to
assume to always restart Tomcat when deploying webapps.  That, of
course, is less than ideal.  For testing, that just makes the
development time longer (and more complicated, since now we have to
remember to restart Tomcat every X deployment times).  And for
production, of course we don't want to take anything down.

That's unfortunate to hear. However, one can make the impact somewhat less by automating the tomcat restart. Apache folks have figured out all kinds of ways to make this happen. SSH and shell scripting is your friend.

--
Thanks,
Josh Rehman