Check out Jeff Tulley's responses to my post "OutOfMemoryError with
Seemingly Plenty of Memory".  You may also want to check out Sun's
forums on the Java Virtual Machine.  You will find a host of
information on JVM tuning.

As I said in my post, we would get the OutOfMemoryError about every 24
hours.  I tried setting MaxPermSize to 256MB (haven't been able to
determine the default value for Sun's JVM, but it's 64MB for HP's JVM).
 This sets the size of the permanent generation, into which
longer-lived objects and class definitions are loaded (we have over
3500 classes over multiple web apps).

I wasn't going to say anything to this list without being more certain,
but Tomcat has been running with no problems since Friday afternoon (47
hours as of this writing)--the longest it's lasted all month.

HTH,
Dhruva

--- "Mohammed Javid - CTD, Chennai." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for all the help.
>
> We did loadtesting of our application running on tomcat 4.1.27 with
> jdk1.4
> on solaris, we enabled the GC stack to get details of how GC works,
> we ran
> for 10000 users with 5 users logging every 30 secs. We set min and
> max heap
> size as 512mb The test ran perfectly for first 2 hours and total heap
> ocupied was only 10448K out of total of  519168K , later as test case
> progessed for around 10 hours the tomcat stopped responding and it
> has
> thrown OutOfMemoryError , but as can be seen from GC output before
> outofmemory error
> the total heap occupied was only 30846K, though we have lot of more
> space on
> heap still tomcat crashed and give connectiontimeout for remaining
> pages.
> When we see the size occupied from top command , when tomcat is
> started it
> was 622Mb and at time of crash it was 723MB.
>
> We are looking for following clarifications
> 1 What could be the reason for tomcat to crash though we have lot of
> heap
> remaining.
> 2 Why the memory occupied as seend from top command increased though
> there
> was lot of space on heap
> 3 We noticed that though heap has space when size seen from top
> command
> reached 720 to 270 mb tomcat crashes.
> 4 How to make tomcat running without crash , certianly heap is not
> problem
> in this case
> 5 Is this a known issue, Any optimization to be done to avoid this
> problem.
>

> The below is the output of the GC after which we get outofmemory
> error
>
> [GC 55404.101: [DefNew Desired survivor size 2621440 bytes, new
> threshold 31
> (max 31)
> - age   1:     359488 bytes,     359488 total
> - age   2:     314104 bytes,     673592 total
> : 167034K->657K(169600K), 0.2717012 secs] 197223K->30846K(519168K),
> 0.2745516 secs]
> java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: unable to create new native thread
>         at java.lang.Thread.start(Native Method)
>         at

org.apache.catalina.connector.http.HttpProcessor.threadStart(HttpProcessor.j
> ava:1178)
>         at

org.apache.catalina.connector.http.HttpProcessor.start(HttpProcessor.java:12
> 62)
>         at

org.apache.catalina.connector.http.HttpConnector.newProcessor(HttpConnector.
> java:937)
>         at

org.apache.catalina.connector.http.HttpConnector.createProcessor(HttpConnect
> or.java:868)
>         at

org.apache.catalina.connector.http.HttpConnector.run(HttpConnector.java:1075