"Aadi Deshpande" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

> Hello all,
>
> There's much talk about how TC5 is JMX-enabled, so I'm wondering what
> tools are available for monitoring and administering a TC5 server.
>
> I've checked out the manager application and it provides some basic
> information ( such as sessions ), but I was wondering what people's
> experiences were with more detailed tools ( if any exist ).
>
> Particularly, I'm looking for monitoring software that will let me view
> the number of sessions, and how active my JNDI datasource are ( how many
> connections in the pool, how many active, etc.. ).
>
> The manager app gives you the ability to get the number of sessions,
> but  Datasources must be listed in the globalresources section,  and to
> date, I haven't figured out how to describe a Resource/ResourceParams
> in the GlobalNamingResources section and still utilize it in my context
> ( I've had to  list it under the Context that I wish to utilize it for
> ).  If anyone has any hints in this department, that would be very
helpful.

> Finally, I'd like to know if it's possible to set up TC5 to be a
> JMX-enabled "server" in such a fashion that you can access it remotely
> using some tool like MC4J, and if so where  I can find some
> documentation wrt. setting this up.

If you enable the AJP/1.3 Connector (even if you are not using
Apache/IIS/SunOne), then if you set in jk2.properties:
  mx.jrmpPort=<value>
and/or
  mx.httpPort=<value>

(where <value> is an actual port number :), and replace the MXRI jars with
the MX4J jars, then you can use the MX4J Adaptors to remotely configure
Tomcat.