The webapp I am writing has until today used html pages, JavaScript, and servlets, but no jsp files.

Now I want to add one, so I placed the file open.jsp in the webapp's root directory (where the html files are). I thought that's all I needed to do, but Tomcat chokes when the jsp is requested. I get a 404 error, "the requested resoruce is not available."

What do I need to configure to get Tomcat to serve the jsp?

My setup is: Apache 1.3.27 -> Tomcat 4.1.27 via mod_jk, on a Linux box. All Tomcat examples (jsps and servlets) work fine, my webapp servlets work fine. Apache config includes this statement: JkMount /mywebapp/* .jsp ajp13 (and anyway the error comes from Tomcat, so I know I'm getting through Apache).

I have not made any jsp-related changes to my webapp's web.xml file, which is where I define the servlets.

All the docs I have on Tomcat agree with this statement in the O'Reilly book "Tomcat: The Definitive Guide":

"JSPs can be installed anywhere in a web application....JSPs can be copied to the root of your web application or placed in any subdirectory other than WEB-INF."

So here's my structure:

$TOMCAT_HOME
....'---webapps

index.html hands off to open.jsp by way of this JasvaScript statement:

document.location="open.jsp"

And Tomcat serves up the 404 error.

What to do?

Thanks.