From: Shapira, Yoav [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, March 02, 2004 9:11 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: RE: Restrict to specific IP's

Hi,

<Valve className="org.apache.catalina.valves.RemoteAddrValve"
deny="132.24.195.76"/>
RESULT: No one is denied access. User at 132.24.195.76 can get to
132.24.195.18:8080 and access manager

Very strange: I can't reproduce what you're seeing.  On a brand new
tomcat 5.0.19 installation, I just added a RemoteAddrValve to deny one
of my PCs access, and restarted tomcat.  When I try to access the server
from that PC (and no others), I get HTTP 403 (Forbidden), as designed
and expected.  I haven't tested the allow functionality.

What am I doing wrong?

I'm not sure.  Are there other errors in the startup logs that are
preventing the server from processing the Valve directive, maybe?  You
can also enable the AccessLogValve so you can see the response code: you
should see 403s for denied requests.

Unfortunately the relevant code
(http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta-tomcat-catalina/catalina/src/
share/org/apache/catalina/valves/RequestFilterValve.java?rev=1.3&view=ma
rkup) doesn't seem to have much logging.  But if you're still having
trouble, then you have the option of downloading the source, adding
logging there, and rebuilding tomcat for your own debugging.