I was reading up on the context.xml file yesterday in the Tomcat-5.0 documentation on the main Jakarta Tomcat site and came across the information that the context.xml file can be placed in conf/Catalina/localhost -OR- it can be placed in the META-INF directory of your web-app.

Now, when I use the catalina-ant deploy task, with the localWar attribute pointing to "file:///${basedir}" -- where ${basedir} is the directory containing the exploded WAR for my project -- it doesn't seem to pick up that context.xml file that I've placed in the META-INF directory (leaving out the config attribute to explicitly point it to that file). I'm leaving out the config attribute, because it appears that the deploy task then copies the XML file provided to the conf/Catalina/localhost directory ... and I want to be able to drive the web-app from the context.xml file provided in the META-INF directory (so when I edit the context.xml file in META-INF, the application will reload (hot)) - to get this same effect with the context placed in conf/Catalina/localhost, I'd have to remove and re-install the context (since that file lives outside of the deployment directory, at that point).

I guess I'm getting caught up in the fact that the catalina-ant tasks seem to arbitrarily limit what can be done with deploying projects to Tomcat ... versus what Tomcat's true abilities are.

Any clarity here would be appreciated!!

--
Brice D. Ruth
Sr. IT Analyst