Brice

I may have got you wrong, and I cannot offer any solutions specific to your
questions (because I am in a hurry!) but here is how I sorted things out for
myself recently, using what I know as the Tomcat 'manager' tasks, but which
I assume are the same as what you refer to as the 'catalina-ant' tasks.

Basically, with my local system - used for development - I have exploded WAR
files and their respective context files are *copied* from my project folder
to the conf/Catalina/localhost directory.

I use the Tomcat 'manager' tasks to STOP the application. Then I use a
combination of ant 'sync' and 'copy' tasks to update my WAR file (and its
context) from my project folder. Then I use the manager START task to get
the app running again.

For my deployed stuff - on a separate server - I only use packed WAR files,
so my ant task is simple:

- undeploy
- copy new WAR file to webapps directory
- deploy

And that seems to automatically take care of updating the application's
context file, which makes sense.

HTH

Harry Mantheakis
London, UK