I use Mars to monitor Tomcat instances that are front-ended with Apache. To insure that my back-end logic is working correctly, I connect to Apache and look for a particular string of characters in a page. Mars also contains a HTTPS and JDBC probes so you can monitor SSL sites and database servers.

In addition, the plugin API isn't very complex, so you could write a probe to poll AJP directly.

http://www.altara.org/mars.html

- Scott