This is a "For what it is worth" message, since I think that your JVM
upgrade was more to the point of solving the problem.

But, the permanent generation issue:
First, reference Yoav's email response to somebody last month:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=tomcat-user&m=107590242329345&w=2

Every time a context is restarted, there is a possibility that there
will be some classloader objects that the JVM doesn't think it can
dispose of.  These are stored in the "permanent generation" memory.  The
perm gen is a small pool of memory just for this purpose - objects that
will never be garbage collected.  But, if the permanent gen fills up
from these constant reloads you can get an OutOfMemoryException even
though the old and new generation memory pools are not full.

I think there was something about the memory not being able to go away
because it was loaded by a classloader that was loading items to be
shared by all web applications, so in other words from jar files in
shared\lib or common\lib

Once again, that doesn't seem to be your problem, especially if you are
not reloading the context repeatedly.

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 3/25/04 6:07:28 PM >>>
I'd say the activity is moderate. Some 6-10 users would be using our
web application during that time. The machine is better than a
development machine but not as good as production one.

Jeff, can you explain more about the -- JVM's "permanent generation".

Thanks.

- SPS