        From: Charles N. Harvey III [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
        Sent: Thu 08/04/2004 20:38
        To: Tomcat Users List
        Subject: Re: Tomcat configuration tuning

        I do just what you described below.  If the loginContext isn't in the
        session,
        I show do a global-forward to the login form.  And, because I didn't want to
        have to put a session check into every Struts action I used AspectJ to weave
        in a pointcut into every action.  Works great.  I was considering going with
        a filter servlet instead but if you say its slow then maybe I did the right
        thing.

        Charlie

        Allistair Crossley wrote:

        >Slightly off-forum but related to my performance tuning of my tomcat webapp,
I am using the JCIFS NTLM authentication servlet as a filter. The filter is mapped to
all requests /*. I just thought to myself on the train home whether because NTLM is a
3-way handshake, that this may be causing some kind of performance hit.

        >The filter authenticates the desktop user and then populates the
request.getRemoteUser. I suppose I "could" do this once with a login servlet and then
populate a session user object and if that ever expires redirect back to the login
servlet.

        >Does anyone have an opinion on whether it would be worth my time removing the
filter per request in favour of a once-only login action.