Julio Cesar Aguilar wrote:
I've read the ClassLoading part of Tomcat documentation and searched this list but I've still found no clue to my recent problem:

Tomcat 5.0.19
JDK 1.4.2_03
Windows XP

I have several applications running with a common jar of my own in each WEB-INF/lib and everthing works.
If I move that jar to %CATALINA_HOME%/shared/lib the applications wont start reporting a CNFE about a class in the previously mentioned jar.

If you use multiple instance Tomcat's feature, this may be the case. According to class-loader-howto.html, shared classloader looks its classes in $CATALINA_BASE/shared/lib , not in $CATALINA_HOME/shared/lib . I just tried this and it works.
Alternatively you can place your .jar in $CATALINA_HOME/common/lib .

I can reproduce the problem in Linux (same version of Tomcat and JDK) placing the jar in CATALINA_BASE/shared/lib or CATALINA_HOME/shared/lib.

Is there something that has to be done to be able to share a jar through applications?