Sorry about not being clear enough last time.

Let's see...

The original problem was with a Filter, which was started at deployment.

Then to my opinion this is due to Filter initialization (not run-time usage) as implemented in Tomcat.

That was my first thought when you brought up the question about the moment of the CNFE happening but I tried with classes needed at runtime (Velocity classes, for example) and could not find those either. Using my code or your servlet.

Stop, now I've messed up. :-) Your code can not find some jars in question, but mine does??

No. Your code does not find things if I put in my application.
But it does find classes in jars in shared/lib within a test (almost empty) application living in CATALINA_HOME/webapps.

I know it does not seem important but I have no other clues by now.