James Bucanek wrote on Saturday, April 17, 2004:
>Tomcat 4.1.xx/Mac OS X Server (BSD)
>
>I'm getting the following errors when I startup Tomcat, and I can't
>for the life of me figure out what to do about it:

Well, I've managed to narrow the problem down.  The <Host> I defined in server.xml
isn't the problem.  The problem is that the <Host> I defined caused other webapp's to
be deployed automatically, and it is apparently the web.xml file that is throwing the
SAXParseExceptions.

I kept taking things out of the web.xml file to try and zero in on the problem.
Unfortunately, I'm now left with the following web.xml:

    <web-app>
    </web-app>

Whenever I start Tomcat, or reload the web application, the following gets written to
${catalina-home}/logs/catalina.out:

Apr 17, 2004 10:45:01 PM org.apache.commons.digester.Digester error
SEVERE: Parse Error at line 1 column -1: Element type "web-app" is not declared.
org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: Element type "web-app" is not declared.
        at org.apache.crimson.parser.Parser2.error(Parser2.java:3317)
        at org.apache.crimson.parser.Parser2.maybeElement(Parser2.java:1469)
        at org.apache.crimson.parser.Parser2.parseInternal(Parser2.java:634)
        at org.apache.crimson.parser.Parser2.parse(Parser2.java:333)
        at org.apache.crimson.parser.XMLReaderImpl.parse(XMLReaderImpl.java:448)
        at org.apache.commons.digester.Digester.parse(Digester.java:1548)
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.applicationConfig(ContextConfig.java:282)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.start(ContextConfig.java:639)
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.lifecycleEvent(ContextConfig.java:243)
        at
org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleSupport.fireLifecycleEvent(LifecycleSupport.java:166)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(StandardContext.java:3582)
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.checkWebXmlLastModified(HostConfig.java:614)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.run(HostConfig.java:854)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:552)

Note: If I have other declarations in web.xml, I get a SAX Exception for (basically)
every tag in the file.

They only way to eliminate this Exception is to remove the web.xml file altogether.
This just doesn't make any sense to me.  Any insight would be appreciated.