Hi

> >    Maybe you should query tomcat-dev list about how (and if you really
> > need) to override Jasper's behaviour on inserting "pageEncoding" value
> > into Content-Type header.

In tomcat-dev list, they say "IT'S SPEC." that's it.
I've learned that "If you don't like it, shut up and use your default."
I found a workaround. Let the jasper using default encoding, and
call encoding conversion method before you pass strings to other
methods in your jsp.

Hope this helps someone.
<%@ page
        language="java"
        import="java.io.*, com.lowagie.text.*, com.lowagie.text.pdf.*"
%>
<%@ page contentType="application/pdf"%>
<%!
//=============encoding conversion============
String getSjis(String str) throws java.io.UnsupportedEncodingException{
        String str2=new String(str.getBytes("ISO-8859-1"),"SJIS");
        return str2;
}
%>
<%
Document document = new Document();

ByteArrayOutputStream buffer = new ByteArrayOutputStream();
PdfWriter pdfwriter = PdfWriter.getInstance( document, buffer );

document.open();

BaseFont bf = BaseFont.createFont("HeiseiKakuGo-W5","UniJIS-UCS2-H",false);
PdfContentByte pcb = pdfwriter.getDirectContent();
pcb.beginText();
pcb.setTextMatrix(50,800);
pcb.setFontAndSize(bf,12);
pcb.setLeading(15);
pcb.showText("English");

//==================== use encoding conversion =============
pcb.showText(getSjis("=====JAPANESE STRING HERE====="));
pcb.endText();

document.close();
response.setContentLength(buffer.size());
ServletOutputStream output =  response.getOutputStream();
buffer.writeTo(output);
output.flush();
%>