OK - it definitely is working now, the link below seemed to be
describing my problem to a tee - i had the jpackage mod_jk2 rpm.
http://cymulacrum.net/writings/tomcat5/a1204.html

Done exactly the same setup on a live server with a compiled mod_jk2 and
it works as expected (tested with quite a few virtual hosts).

Yang: apparently not, I have the following virtual setup...notice the
appbase and context in server.xml just points to the apache
documentroot, if apache sees a .jsp it palms off the request to tomcat
where it finds the same file and compiles it on the fly.

for apache (httpd.conf):

<VirtualHost *>
   ServerName SOME.HOST.NAME
   DirectoryIndex index.html
   DocumentRoot "/var/www/html/beta"
   <Location "/*.jsp">
       JkUriSet worker ajp13:localhost:8009
   </Location>
</VirtualHost>

and tomcat (server.xml):

<Host name="SOME.HOST.NAME" debug="0"
        appBase="/var/www/html/beta"
        unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true">
<Context path="" docBase="/var/www/html/beta" debug="1"/>
         directory="logs"  prefix="cust2_log." suffix=".txt"
         pattern="common" resolveHosts="false"/>
</Host>