Hi,
I've a web hosting server running Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3 ES and I am planning to install Tomcat on it.

I would like to give dedicated Tomcat instances to some clients and to keep a shared instance for smaller web sites.

Is it better to use Tomcat 4.1.x or 5.0.x for such scenario?
Which version is faster and stabler?

Will applications designed for Tomcat 4 work fine with version 5?

What is the recommended JVM for production use on Linux? Sun or IBM? Which version?

Thanks!