This is probably a better question for the Spring mailing list. But since it's really pretty easy - here's how I do it. All you really need to do is define a dataSource for your tests, and one for your WAR. I basically do this in a file named applicationContext-database.xml and use the one below for my tests:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE beans PUBLIC "-//SPRING//DTD BEAN//EN"
    "http://www.springframework.org/dtd/spring-beans.dtd";>

<beans>

<bean id="propertyConfigurer"
class="org.springframework.beans.factory.config.PropertyPlaceholderConfi gurer">
</bean>

<bean id="dataSource" class="org.springframework.jdbc.datasource.DriverManagerDataSource">
<property name="driverClassName">
<value>${hibernate.connection.driver_class}</value>
</property>
<property name="url">
<value>${hibernate.connection.url}</value>
</property>
<property name="username">
<value>${hibernate.connection.username}</value>
</property>
<property name="password">
<value>${hibernate.connection.password}</value>
</property>
</bean>
</beans>

Then for running in Tomcat, I use Ant to bundle the following one in my WAR:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE beans PUBLIC "-//SPRING//DTD BEAN//EN"
    "http://www.springframework.org/dtd/spring-beans.dtd";>

<beans>
<!-- JNDI DataSource for J2EE environments -->
<bean id="dataSource" class="org.springframework.jndi.JndiObjectFactoryBean">
</bean>
</beans>

HTH,

Matt