I have a three server configuration with 1 Apache (httpd) and 2 Tomcat (10 instances a piece) servers. The configuration is working but it is a little complicated. I choose this configuration for performance. I loaded the tomcat servers with lots of RAM and let the multiple instance run as independant processes under linux. This would allow, I beleieve for beter CPU usage. There were serveral other reasons for my original choice of load balancing across multiple instances on multiple machines which I won't go into unless asked. But, my question is this. Is it needed? Can I get the same performance from single tomcat instances on the two boxes (rely on threads instead of POSIX proccesses)? Wouldn't running 1 JVM instead of 10 provide a better use of memory per machine? The configuration would be easier, definatly... What are the thought of the others in this group? Thanks...

[ Apache 10.10.10.20] | | |------------------------------------------------| [Tomcat 10.10.10.100] [Tomcat 10.10.10.101] | | [APP01-01] [APP02-01] ... ... [APP01-10] [APP02-10]