On Thu, May 06, 2004 at 12:36:49PM -0400, Adam T. Gautier wrote:

: The configuration would be easier, definatly...

"configuration," maybe.
"maintenance," probably not.  ;)

One of my clients had a large-scale J2EE setup. (Not Tomcat, but bear
with me.)  Several VMs ran on the server, but a single VM would host up
to, say, 5-6 apps.

Coordination between the apps was a headache.  Code migrations required
a VM restart; app X didn't want the downtime when app Y had to do a code
push.  There were also several conflicts over intra-VM resources: no one
wanted to share a container with a memory hog...

etc, etc, etc.

-QM

--

software  -- http://www.brandxdev.net