Hi,
Yeah, but that's too external (and custom) or too OS-dependent (for the
bash process thing).  The ListenExec idea is decent at its core.  It's
not too clean (having to make a socket call, needing to secure that
call, needing to configure a password somewhere, etc), but considering
the dirtiness of other solutions I've seen in this space it's not bad.

I still stick my by original "no" response when it comes to a portable,
stand-along solution given the current tomcat codebase.  And I would
still love to be proven otherwise by some ingenious design, but this is
an old problem ;)

I don't think Enhydra was tomcat based, but I'm not sure, if Jacob
(Kjome) is watching this thread he might shed some light on that.
Remember, though, the idea (request of the original poster) wasn't to
have an admin restart the server from a management console.  Of course
that's doable.  It was to have a webapp running inside tomcat reboot its
own server.

Yoav Shapira
Millennium Research Informatics