Could be the size of the generated page.  Check the thread I started about
the different problem with the error-page.   In order for IE not to hijack
it it s/b bigger than 500k.

see this url

http://www.404-error-page.com/404-error-page-too-short-problem-microsoft-ie.shtml

|         |           "Jim Kennedy"    |
|         |           <[EMAIL PROTECTED]|
|         |           ring.com>        |
|         |           05/21/2004 12:30 |
|         |           "Tomcat Users    |
|         |           List"            |

  |       To:       "'Tomcat Users List'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                              |
  |       cc:
                                           |
  |       Subject:  RE: Problem with error-page

The suggestion to change 403.jsp to something like _403.jsp did not work.
did however change my browser setting in the advanced section concerning
"friendly error messages".  This did work.  I still don't understand why
the
IE browser distinguishes between an HTML error page and a JSP error page.
The browser, it would seem to me, would not be aware of that.

Here's the first message again:

 I am trying to configure a custom error page when users try to access an
area of my site that they don't have sufficient rights to access.

The book says this to configure this in web.xml:

             <error-page>
                         <error-code>403</error-code>
                         <location>/error/403.jsp</location>
             </error-page>

This doesn't work for me, but....

             <error-page>
                         <error-code>403</error-code>
                         <location>/error/403.html</location>
             </error-page>

Does work.  Is there a problem with using JSP's.

I'm am using JBOSS with Tomcat, but that shouldn't matter.  It's still the
Tomcat engine.  I'm also using Struts.

I'm using Tomcat 4.1.24.