My guess is that jsvc is failing.  Is there an error in your output file or
error file? (ie. ../logs/catalina.out & ../logs/catalina.err).

As for why it was failing, I found it was so unreliable on my system that I
eventually ditched it (but then I don't need port 80).  All in all, it's easier
to run Apache http server and bridge to Tomcat than to try to get Tomcat
running using jsvc, imo.

..Bob.

--- Eric Noel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 5/28/2004 12:02 PM, Justin Jaynes wrote:
>
> > I am very impressed with the responsiveness of this
> > list.  I appreciate all the help everyone has given me
> > in learning about JSVC for running tomcat as an
> > underpriviledged user on ports 80 and 443.
> >
> > However, I am still running into a problem.
> >
> > I created a tomcat user and group and all tomcat files
> > and web application files are owned by tomcat.
> >
> > I compiled the jsvc and set my scripts to run jsvc
> > with the proper options (I believe), and when I run
> > the script, I get nothing but my prompt back.  I run
> > ps -ax and jsvc is NOT a running process.  What am I
> > doing wrong?
> >
> > I run the command from my /tomcat/bin:
> >
> > jsvc -Djava.endorsed.dirs=../common/endorsed -cp
> > ./bin/bootstrap.jar -outfile ../logs/catalina.out
> > -errfile ../logs/catalina.err
> > org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap
> >
> > nothing
> >
> > I run the command with the user option, (as in the
> > scripts)  again. nothing.  No errors, no process.  Any
> > help would be greatly apreciated.
> >
> > Justin

> try checking the tomcat5.sh script in the jsvc.tar.gz to see the
> parameters passed.

=====
--Bob White-- home:727-490-7363, cell:727-463-6061
New (popup free!) photos of Polina: http://polina.70kg.com/

Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of
ourselves. - Carl Jung