Justin,

It is normal for there to be two processes running.

As for exactly, I can't say, but my understanding is that jsvc start the
process, in this case tomcat, then after tomcat has allocated the ports on
80 and/or 443 the privileges are then change to the level of the user
specified in the startup script.

As for  test, try to do some simple IO function to a disc that has the
privileges set to not allow tomcat access. When started with startup.sh as
root it should work. When started as jsvc it should fail. If you log on as
user tomcat and start tomcat with startup.sh it should also fail.

To my knowledge, Tomcat does not shut down. I believe that jsvc does.
Warning my knowledge has been known to be faulty and dangerous at time.

Although I have no data to back my opinion, I have seen no slowdown of the
system or drop in performance. There is no increase in memory or cpu when
run with jsvc and without. Others may have definitive numbers to
prove/disprove my observations.

Just my $.02

Doug
www.parsonstechnical.com