In what I've read people use Apache+Tomcat because better performance in
apache serving static content, and the potential to use PHP served by apache
for example.
In the case that you only use dinamic java code, it's better because it's
easier to mantain one service that two!!!
But I'ver read too that performance for SSL is far better in apache so
people make the ssl in apache and serve dinamic content with tomcat, but
I've no experience (until now) so I'm talking only what I've read...