Now I see what you mean. It's just that I never develop with classes that
reuse code that is located in other folders, so the classloader can always
find the classes I need.

-----Original Message-----
From: Tim Funk [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, June 16, 2004 3:21 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Second Try: Can anyone explain this?

It a 1.4 JVM thing (not 1.3)

Consider class Cowbell in package more.

file: Cowbell.java
--------------
package more;
import Fever
public class Cowbell {
}

Then consider a class called Fever without a package.
file: Fever.java
--------------
public class Fever {
}

Now try to compile them. The compiler will barf because it can't find Fever
because its packageless.

$JAVA_HOME/bin/javac -d out/ Fever.java more/Cowbell.java

You should get:
more/Cowbell.java:3: '.' expected
import Fever;
             ^