in order to be considered a webapp, you need to have an empty web.xml
file in the WEB-INF folder under springapps.  Do you have this?

empty means web.xml contains:

<web-app>
</web-app>

You will also need to restart Tomcat for it to pick this up.

http://localhost:8080/springapps/index.html

I get Error: 404.  The requested resource (/springapps/index.html) is
not
available.

So I'm reading and it says that I have to "start" the application by
going
into the Tomcat Manager.  So I fix the
$CATALINA_HOME/conf/tomcat-users.xml
file so that I have both admin and manager roles.  Then I go to the
Tomcat
homepage localhost:8080.  I can log into the Administration page no
problem.
But when I try to get to the Manager it says,

Access to the specified resource (Access to the requested resource has
been
denied) has been forbidden.

I'm stumped.  Don't know where to go from here.  Seems like this
shouldn't be
this difficult.  Any suggestions?

-- Michael