Mike:

Thanks for the response.  This application is slightly different but has the
identical problem.  Yes I have a web.xml.  The directory structure for the
app looks like this:

=======================================
/opt/tomcat/webapps/springapps/:
niagra2

/opt/tomcat/webapps/springapps/niagra2:
WEB-INF  index.jsp

/opt/tomcat/webapps/springapps/niagra2/WEB-INF:
lib  web.xml
=======================================

The web.xml file contains this:

=======================================
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE web-app PUBLIC '-//Sun Microsystems, Inc.//DTD Web Application
2.3//EN' 'http://java.sun.com/dtd/web-app_2_3.dtd'>

<web-app>

</web-app>

Tomcat was stop/started.  Still when I try

http://localhost:8080/springapps/niagra2/index.jsp

I get

" The requested resource (/springapps/niagra2/index.jsp) is not available."

Any other suggestions?

-- Michael