On Jul 11, 2004, at 11:39 PM, Ty Mercer wrote:

There isn't much reason to do the auth against an AD?  Why woudl that
be, it's our only point of auth in the entire company and the only one
we need for everything up until now.
I'm simply trying to get users home directories into apache from a
second server, which I have done to an extent, but jsp/php/cgi/ etc
don't work due to the cross platform issue I still haven't figured out
yet.

Sorry, meant that there's not reason to consider it as AD vs. just LDAP - you'll find more help out there using it as LDAP particularly.

I've had a rather easy time of using LDAP (provided by Win2003 Server) for authentication with Linux apps... Maybe some details on what exactly you're trying to do would help pin down a solution.

For example, I had a web app using PHP's LDAP support properly logging in users in about 15 minutes. Samba + Winbind (for SSH access) took the better part of two days because of goofy kerberos issues.

-Steve