I am running Tomcat4.1.24 with Apache1.3.26 and libapache-mod-jk1.2.5 on a
Debian Woody system.  I have tried to set up mod-jk using the instructions
found at http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/jk2/jk/aphowto.html
and using the auto-generated config file.

I added this to the end of my httpd.conf:

        Include /etc/tomcat4/auto/mod_jk.conf

That file contains the following:

        <IfModule !mod_jk.c>
          LoadModule jk_module /usr/lib/apache/1.3/mod_jk.so
        </IfModule>

        JkWorkersFile "/usr/local/share/tomcat4/conf/jk/workers.properties"
        JkLogFile "/usr/local/share/tomcat4/logs/mod_jk.log"

        JkLogLevel emerg

and was generated by this directive:

        <Listener className="org.apache.ajp.tomcat4.config.ApacheConfig"
        modJk="/usr/lib/apache/1.3/mod_jk.so" forwardAll="true"/>

The workers.properties file contains the following:

        workers.tomcat_home=/usr/local/share/tomcat4
        workers.java_home=/usr/local/j2sdk1.4.1/
        ps=/

        worker.list=ajp12, ajp13

        worker.ajp12.port=8007
        worker.ajp12.host=localhost
        worker.ajp12.type=ajp12
        worker.ajp12.lbfactor=1

        worker.ajp13.port=8009
        worker.ajp13.host=localhost
        worker.ajp13.type=ajp13
        worker.ajp13.lbfactor=1

        worker.loadbalancer.type=lb
        worker.loadbalancer.balanced_workers=ajp12, ajp13

worker.inprocess.class_path=$(workers.tomcat_home)$(ps)lib$(ps)tomcat.jar

        worker.inprocess.cmd_line=start

worker.inprocess.stdout=$(workers.tomcat_home)$(ps)logs$(ps)inprocess.stdout

worker.inprocess.stderr=$(workers.tomcat_home)$(ps)logs$(ps)inprocess.stderr

As the above directive indicates, I would like to have all requests to
Apache forwarded to Tomcat.  However, that is not happening and any URL I
try results in a 404 with an error indicating such in Apache's error.log.
No errors indicating failure appear in the obvious spots, and no output
exists in the mod_jk.log indicated above.  The inprocess log files do not
exist, either.

Any ideas as to what could be wrong?  I would like Apache to forward all
requests to Tomcat because I cannot run Tomcat on ports under 1024, and
because I do not really wish to recompile the kernel to enable
port-forwarding.  I had thought mod_jk would be an easier venture.

thanks,
ian.