So, presumably, in the general case, JAVAHOME would be d:\j2sdk1.4.1,
because TomCat would find the compiler needed for JSPs.

In the particular case of an installation that was already compiled,
either j2sdk or j2re would work.

And just to add to it, consider what happens when you upgrade.  Every
reference; server, IDE, whatever; to drive:\..\jxxVersion has to be
changed, it takes a while, and if you miss one you're broken.

While we generally develop in 1.4.2, we sometimes have need to for
previous versions.  Further, it won't be too long until there's 1.4.3 or
1.5.  To reduce upgrade, and downgrade, difficulties, we use a generic
directory, c:\java, and all appropriate environment variables and IDE
settings, etc. refer to it.

We install j2sdk into it's default directory and add a file named
j2sdkWhateverVersion.bat.  The batch file deletes all files in c:\java
and copies it's own directory to c:\java.  So changing versions becomes:

C:> \j2sdkWhateverVersion\j2sdkWhateverVersion.bat

(rather than use a standard named batch file, such as switchJava.bat, we
use one with the version name, so when we look in C:\java we see a file
with the current version name.)