Here is the environment:
       DELL 6650 running a fresh Win2k3 Advanced Server installation
       Tomcat 5.0
       JDK 1.4.2
       The machine is connected to our intranet at 100Mbit.

Here is the problem:

I got Tomcat 5.0 and my web app to install and run fine. The problem
begins when I try to upload a 48MB file from DuPont, Washington to
Portland, Oregon. It takes ~20 min to upload the file. I originally had
the web app running on a Linux Mandrake box using Tomcat 5.0 and doing
the same operation took less than ~2 min. I had our IT department
upgrade the network drop to the machine to 1Gbit instead of the 100Mbit
and the file still takes ~20 min to upload.

Well, being a cynic I thought, well it has to be a windows issue.

I got two more 6650s and did some more testing.

Here is a quick table showing the results of my tests.
-------------------------------------
| Test | O/S, Tomcat Ver. | Time    |
-------------------------------------
| 1    | Linux,  5.0      | ~2  min |
| 2    | Win2k3, 5.0      | ~20 min |
| 3    | Win2k3, 4.1      | ~20 min |
| 4    | Win2k,  4.1      | ~2  min |
| 5    | Win2k,  5.0      | ~2  min |
-------------------------------------

Test Machine 1 Environment:
       DELL 6650 running a fresh Win2k3 Advanced Server installation
       Tomcat 4.1 and 5.0
       JDK 1.4.2
       The machine is connected to our intranet at 100Mbit.

I deployed the web app and got the same results as before. I then
uninstalled Tomcat 5.0 and installed Tomcat 4.0, deployed the web app
and got the same results again.

Test Machine 2 Environment:
       DELL 6650 running a fresh Win2k Advanced Server installation
       Tomcat 4.1 and 5.0
       JDK 1.4.2
       The machine is connected to our intranet at 100Mbit.

I deployed the web app and got the same results as my Linux server, the
file took ~2 min to upload to the machine.

So what gives? Is there a known conflict between Tomcat 4.1/5.0 and
Win2k3 Advanced Server?

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

David Martin