Has anyone had time to think on this?
Any thoughts or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thx

________________________________

From: Matthew Mamet [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wed 7/28/2004 9:10 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: RE: Point Apache at Tomcat Contexts via JkMount

Re: Tomcat Admin Tool - Point taken. :-P

Re: jkMount -
If I understand correctly jkMount involves pointing Apache Virtual Hosts at specific
jk2 workers.

The example from the jakarta site shows:
# send all requests ending in .jsp to worker1
JkMount /*.jsp worker1

# send all requests jsp requests to files located in /otherworker will go worker2
JkMount /otherworker/*.jsp worker2

so given the example, I would have two workers defined in my worker2.properties file,
and it would look something like:

[channel.socket:localhost:8009]
port=8009
host=127.0.0.1

# define the worker
[worker1:localhost:8009]
channel=channel.socket:localhost:8009

[channel.socket:localhost:8010]
port=8010
host=127.0.0.1

# define the worker
[worker2:localhost:8010]
channel=channel.socket:localhost:8010

What i have now is two Apache Virtual Hosts, pointing to 2 different jk2 workers, who
are in turn pointing to 2 different instances of Tomcat running on the same machine,
but different ports.

At first blush, this solves my problem. Although it's not what I original had in mind.
Changes to the Tomcat server.xml of 1 virtual host will cause that instance of Tomcat
to be restarted, and other virtual hosts running tomcat on my server are unaffected.
but, a few questions remain:

1. is this "how it is done"? I understand that there is no single answer, but I would
get some feeling of comfort knowing that this is how "most" people solve this problem.

2. what can i expect in terms of memory requirements? If I have 12 virtual hosts
running 12 instances of Tomcat . . .? is this model scalable? at what point does it
stop being scalable? (20 hosts? 50? 500?)

3. what's the catch? :-) there's always a catch!

Thanks for your continued time and patience with this thread.

Sincerely,
Matthew Mamet