OK, I've searched through the archives and didn't find anything that really settled this.

Is there a configuration setting for Tomcat to it recompile all JSP files at start up?

The only thing I saw was that one could create a startup servlet that would go through all directories searching for JSP pages then create a URLConnection and call the page with the querystring "precompile=true"

        http://my-server.com/my-page.jsp?precompile=true

If this is the only way, how and where do you specify startup servlets in tomcat? And what if I want to enable/disable this feature on startup -- what's best approach for setting the flag in tomcats config files?