Not sure you can do this with Tomcat alone (but would be happy to be shown the error of my ways). This is because every ssl connection uses the same SSLSocketFactory configuration irrespective of requested URI.

The mod_ssl module for Apache has support for this type of config, though:
http://www.modssl.org/docs/2.8/ssl_howto.html#ToC8

HTH (or prompts another answer),

Jon

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
I need help to configure a secure application.
I'm trying to request a client certificate in one page only (the rest should
be accesible without presenting a certificate) and force to use SSL in the
entire application.

I put the following in the web.xml

    <security-constraint>
        <web-resource-collection>
            <web-resource-name>certificates</web-resource-name>
            <url-pattern>/certificates/add.action</url-pattern>
            <http-method>GET</http-method>
            <http-method>POST</http-method>
        </web-resource-collection>
         <auth-constraint>
            <role-name>*</role-name>
        </auth-constraint>
        <user-data-constraint>
        </user-data-constraint>
    </security-constraint>
    <login-config>
        <auth-method>CLIENT-CERT</auth-method>
    </login-config>

If I add a new url pattern, this page will request client certificate too. How can I force to use SSL without requiring a client certificate but still require it in a specific page?

Thanks in advance.

regards,
fabian