What kernel was running on the old box? Better put, what is different between the two machines?

7.3 on the old system. 9.0 on an intermediary system, with only the private instance installed (which never "hung").

I recall RHEL 3.0 comes with an NPTL-based 2.4, which will require
setting LD_KERNEL_ASSUME=2.4 to disable the NPTL functionality for the
Java process.  That may be it.

I am assuming you mean set this as an environment variable? I will give this a try and see what happens! Thank you for the suggestion!

-Sean