Hola,
Just a couple of things ;)

> (Apache
>hands *everything* off for this domain to Tomcat, including images):

And yet you said Tomcat standalone wasn't an option for this
installation?  Too bad.  You can do much of mod_rewrite with the
balancer app, you can do much of .htaccess with Servlet security
constraints, and if Tomcat already handles all the requests than you're
losing performance by adding Apache and the connector layer.

> From A thread dump of the JVM - obviously there were more than three,
>but I only included three for the sake of brevity:

How did you pick these three threads?

>---------------( snip )-----------------------
>"Thread-20" daemon prio=1 tid=0x08192b68 nid=0x3560 in Object.wait()
>[a84db000..a84db87c]
>       at java.lang.Object.wait(Native Method)
>       - waiting on <0xab9bcba8> (a

The three threads in your trace are waiting on different objects.  They
don't appear to be locked with each other.  It is normal and expected
that some thread will be waiting when you do a thread trace like this:
it's extremely unlikely all threads will be working when you do the
trace ;)

>So, as another user suggested earler, it seems some blocking is
>happening. Also as I mentioned, I am on RHEL 3.0 and JDK version:
>1.4.2_04. Does anyone have any ideas as to how to prevent the threads
>from locking up? I have already tried the "LD_KERNEL_ASSUME=2.4" and
>that does not help.

The next step would be to try your app on a different platform, IMHO, to
try and tell if this is indeed an RHEL-related problem or something
else.

Yoav

and notify the sender.  Thank you.