Hi,

>There's no need to do this, really.  Webapps are supposed to be
>self-contained.  My inner C++ developer says I should share common
code,
>similar to shared libraries; but C and C++ != Java. =)  I tend to leave
>common/lib/ alone, so only the Tomcat-provided JARs exist there.

IMHO, the best way to share common code is to put it in a source-code
control system (CVS, Subversion, ClearCase, whatever you want) and have
a consistent deployment process where the deployment script (Ant, Maven,
whatever you want) is also in the source-code control system.  Leave
common/lib alone unless you're forced to use it due to circumstances
without your control.  Always ask yourself if you could distribute and
run your webapp as one packed WAR file.

To the OP: as QM said, 5.5.x as alpha and with the significant changes
made to classloaders, it's entirely possible a bug causing the behavior
you're seeing has snuck in.

Yoav

and notify the sender.  Thank you.