Well, I've gotten the Administration link to work. I had not copied the server directory to my $CATALINA_BASE. Now the link prompts me for a username/password and I am able to login with the credentials I had set in the tomcat-users.xml file. But I'm still getting a 404 error for the Manager link
message /manager/html

description The requested resource (/manager/html) is not available.

And in localhost_log.2004-09-15.txt this error is listed:
Resources start failed:
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Document base /web/tomcat4.1-local/patch1base/webapps/manager does not exist or is not
a readable directory

Any ideas would be appreciated.