Thanks.

I'm still a little fuzzy on the Apache part. Do I point Apache to the the context, or do I point it to a folder. I would rather keep HTML/images out of the java/jsp space, however this is a pre existing site with alot of static HTML pages with preexisting links to the jsp pages.

From: QM <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Tomcat Users List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: seperate development spaces on same server/tomcat
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 12:08:12 -0500

On Tue, Sep 21, 2004 at 04:59:42PM +0000, Didier McGillis wrote:
: to setup up three instances of the same site. Here is the reason. I have
: three developers who are coming in. I have one set of code, rather then
: they share it, and play that way I would rather them have their own spots
: to play.
: [snip]
: so HTML/images is in /usrl/local/apache2/guy1, guy2, guy3 ....
: jsp/java/servlets is in /usr/local/tomcat/webapps/guy1, guy2, guy3 ....
:
: http://server/guy1
: http://server/guy1
: http://server/guy3

Check out the Tomcat docs on CATALINA_BASE vs CATALINA_HOME, which lets
you provide each developer with their own Tomcat instance (separate
JVMs).  Find/create custom scripts for each developer to start/stop
their own instance.

The rest is, well, up to the developers.  They should be able to check
out the entire site from source code control (or however it's stored).
They would work on just their piece, and only check-in code related to
their piece; but to be effective, they should be able to run/see the
full site within their instance.

Taking this a step farther, you could create another instance for QA,
one for load-tests, etc.

-QM

--

software  -- http://www.brandxdev.net
tech news -- http://www.RoarNetworX.com

Take charge with a pop-up guard built on patented Microsoft® SmartScreen Technology. http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-ca&page=byoa/prem&xAPID=1994&DI=1034&SU=http://hotmail.com/enca&HL=Market_MSNIS_Taglines Start enjoying all the benefits of MSN® Premium right now and get the first two months FREE*.