If you want to discuss the servlet spec... please take it to the servlet spec group
whereever they may be.

This forum is for Tomcat specific questions. You already know the answer for how
Tomcat deals with the getParameter method.

On Sep 23, 2004, at 3:34 PM, Shapira, Yoav wrote:
> Hi,
> I guess the part where I said we didn't have a choice, we must
> implement
> the servlet spec as-is, and if you don't like it contact the expert
> group, wasn't clear? ;)  I hope it is now.

Thanks for your input!  I guess I was looking for some objective
discussion on the possibility of the Servlet API being incorrect,
according to the standards its supposed to implement.  The Servlet
specification ultimately needs to adhere to external standards.  For
example, HttpRequest.getHeader() is case insensitive because RFC 2616
says HTTP headers are case insensitive.  So presumably
HttpRequest.getParameter() is case sensitive because *something* says
so... I just don't know what.

Surprisingly, the servlet spec is quite clear on this issue:
getParameter() is not valid for GET requests (which was totally
unexpected).  Servlet Spec 2.3, Section SRV.4.1:

   "Path parameters that are part of a GET request (as defined by
HTTP1.1) are not  exposed by these APIs.  They must be parsed from the
String values returned by the  getRequestURI method or the getPathInfo
method."

getParameter() is only valid for POST requests of the content type
application/x-www-form-urlencoded.

So, it sounds like applications cannot count on a servlet container to
implement getParameter() for GET requests at all, which is completely
unbelievable, IMHO.  And strictly speaking, Tomcat should actually not
return anything for GET requests.  Though, this would conceivable break
*tons* of applications.  Hrm....

-Dave