Hi,
I didn't mean to imply any of this discussion is invalid, or even
boring: it's both valid and interesting.  The points I wanted to make
are two:

- We Tomcat developers are required to adhere to the Servlet Spec.  In
some cases we can provide functionality beyond the Spec, at our
discretion, but on core things we want to stick to the Spec as rigidly
as possible.  This sometimes puts developers or deployers at a bit of an
inconvenience, like in your case.

- Every release of Tomcat is validated rigorously against the Servlet
and JSP TCKs.  There are explicit test cases that cover request
parameter parsing and handling.  No release of Tomcat is pronounced
stable unless it passes the TCK tests completely, i.e. no failures.

So that's why I said any ambiguities in the Spec or areas where you
think the Spec could be improved should be addressed to the Expert
Group.  They have contact info on the JSR154 home page.  I didn't say
that to get you off our backs: I said that because they are interested
in hearing from you, it's their job.  In addition, the Spec is not a
dead/inactive thing: it's constantly evolving, mostly in response to
community demands.

Some areas of the Servlet Spec, as you noted, are subject to external
standards.  For example, there are RFCs that define Cookie formats, the
Servlet Spec abides by these and therefore its implementations like
Tomcat must be compliant.  But there are many things in the Servlet Spec
that are not specified by another standard, so for them the Spec is the
authority.

One other minor note: I see several references in this thread to the
Servlet Spec v2.3.  As you know, v2.4 is the current version, and the
one Tomcat 5.x implements.

Yoav Shapira
Millennium Research Informatics

and notify the sender.  Thank you.